Peak positions wrong in early 1990 charts

• April 15, 2019 at 4:10 pm #14574
    hansenkd
    Participant

Posting something here that I had sent a while ago via the contact form. These peak positions on the early 1990 charts really need to be fixed, and it would not take long to do so. I outline what the issue is below. The main reason it sticks out like a sore thumb is that the error is right at the turn of a decade.

The peak positions for the first few weeks of 1990 have some issues. Particularly, it looks like the peak positions for FALLING songs that peaked in 1989 are incorrect.

For example, the first week of 1990 “We Didn’t Start the Fire” is listed as peaking at #3, which was its position the previous week, but was not its peak, which was obviously #1. “Back to Life” is listed as having a #6 peak, but it actually peaked at #4. “Living in Sin” is listed as having a #10 peak, but it peaked at #9. “Blame it On the Rain” is listed as having a #13 peak, but this is obviously incorrect, as it also peaked at #1.

And so on. The specific issue seems to be with songs on their way down that peaked in 1989–and whose peak position is not the same as its “last week” position. In fact, the peaks in all cases seem to be replaced with the “last week” positions for those that are incorrect. In the case of “Don’t Know Much,” its peak and last week positions are both listed as #2, and that is correct on both accounts.

This error continues through the first few charts of 1990 and seems to be consistent with all the same songs. Once the 1989 peaks are off the chart, there are no more mistakes. This is the only year I have noticed with this issue at the beginning of the year. Since it is right at the beginning of a decade as well, it’s pretty noticeable.

April 15, 2019 at 8:54 pm #14577
    Weekly Top 40
    Keymaster

Hey Hansenkd

Thanks, for this. I’ll get John Michaelson to answer this one for you.

Matt – Webmaster

April 15, 2019 at 9:16 pm #14578
    John Michaelson
    Participant

Hello Hansenkd. This was simply an error on my part from many years ago that never got addressed. But thank you for mentioning this to us because it’s easy for us to fall behind and forget what still needs to be done. There is always work to be done on these pages and the list is long, but in time we will have all charts 100% complete and accurate. Thank you 🙂

April 18, 2019 at 3:22 pm #14836
    hansenkd
    Participant

Here are the relevant corrections, starting with the first chart of 1990 (Jan. 6) and continuing until each song drops out (including when they appear on “This Week’s Drops”).

“We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel, peak should be changed to 1 instead of 3
    “Back to Life” by Soul II Soul featuring Caron Wheeler, peak should be changed to 4 instead of 6
    “Living in Sin” by Bon Jovi, peak should be changed to 9 instead of 10
    “Blame It on the Rain” by Milli Vanilli, peak should be changed to 1 instead of 13
    “Don’t Close Your Eyes” by Kix, peak should be changed to 11 instead of 24
    “(It’s Just) The Way That You Love Me” by Paula Abdul, peak should be changed to 3 instead of 25
    “Bust a Move” by Young M.C., peak should be changed to 7 instead of 33
    “When I See You Smile” by Bad English, peak should be changed to 1 instead of 27

On the “This Week’s Drops” list from Jan. 6, 1990:
    “Don’t Make Me Over” by Sybil, peak should be changed to 20 instead of 35
    “The Last Worthless Evening” by Don Henley, peak should be changed to 21 instead of 31
    “Angelia” by Richard Marx, peak should be changed to 4 instead of 28
    “Leave a Light On” by Belinda Carlisle, peak should be changed to 11 instead of 36

April 19, 2019 at 12:50 am #14845
    John Michaelson
    Participant

Hansenkd:
    That is awesome. Thank you. That will help make it easier for us when we get to posting these corrections.

All the best!
    John Michaelson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.